About Gerard Powell
MBBS, FRACS (Orth), FAOrthA, MCIME (ABIME)
Specialty interests include:
- Hip replacement and revision hip replacement
- Knee replacement and revision knee replacement
- Knee arthroscopy
- Radiofrequency Ablation
- Tumours of soft tissue and bone
- Metastatic disease of bone
Mr Gerard Powell completed his medical degree at the University of Melbourne in 1987 before commencing residency at St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne. He was accepted into training in Orthopaedics in 1991 and passed his Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in 1995. He has been practising as a specialist orthopaedic surgeon in Melbourne and abroad since 1996.
Mr Powell has subspecialty interests in Arthroplasty (joint replacement) and Tumour Surgery. Between 1996 and 1998 he completed fellowships in Adult Joint Reconstruction, Shoulder Surgery and Tumour Surgery in Australia, the United Kingdom, Austria, Italy and the USA.
Since returning to Melbourne in late 1998, Mr Powell continues to hold appointments as an orthopaedic surgeon at St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne and Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre. He was an inaugural member of the Victorian Bone and Soft Tissue Sarcoma Service and also Orthopaedic Oncology Society of Australia (the forerunner of ANZSA – the Australian and New Zealand Sarcoma Association). He continues to have a strong interest in treating patients with tumours and in educating future generations of doctors about musculoskeletal oncology, both in Australia and abroad. He has been the co-ordinator of education in this field for the Victorian & Tasmanian Board of Studies of the AOA for over 20 years.
In addition to his public hospital work, Mr Powell maintains a private practice in East Melbourne with interests in hip and knee surgery as well as tumours. He holds appointments at St Vincent’s Private Hospital and at Epworth Freemasons Hospital.
Mr Powell continues to devote time to teaching and research. He has previously served as the Director of Surgical Training for orthopaedic registrars at St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne for over a decade. He is the author of more than 25 scientific publications. He regularly speaks at scientific meetings and conferences at home and abroad. He holds a recurring appointment as Adjunct Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Florida for teaching musculoskeletal pathology and has convened the William F Enneking Pathology Seminar in Australia on several occasions.
Other contributions made by Mr Powell have included appointments on boards of the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Melbourne, the Australian Medical Association, the Australian Orthopaedic Association, the Tissue Bank of Victoria and the Australian Sarcoma Group. He has served as the Secretary of the Senior Medical Staff at St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne, President of the University of Melbourne Medical Student’s Society, President and secretary of the Australian Sarcoma Group. He remains an active member of ANZSA, the European MusculoSkeletal Oncology Society and the International Society of Limb Salvage Surgery.
Mr Powell holds Fellowships of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS) and the Australian Orthopaedic Association (F.A.Orth.A) as well as being accredited as a Master Certified Independent Medical Examiner (MCIME) of the American Board of Independent Medical Examiners.
Mr Powell currently holds positions as a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Supervisor or Senior Lecturer at:
- St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne
- Peter MacCallum Cancer Center
- St Vincent’s Private Hospital (East Melbourne & Fitzroy Campus)
- Epworth Private Hospital (Freemasons Campus)
- University of Melbourne – Senior Lecturer
- Supervisor of Surgical Training – Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and Australian Orthopaedic Association.
Dr Powell is a member of the following professional organisations:
- Fellow Royal Australian College of Surgeons
- Fellow Australian Orthopaedic Association
- Arthroplasty Society of Australia
- Australian and New Zealand Sarcoma Association (ANZSA)
- Australian Medical Association
- International Society of Limb Salvage Surgery
- European MusculoSkeletal Oncology Society (EMSOS)
- Asia Pacific MusculoSkeletal Tumor Society (APMSTS)
- Royal Society of Medicine
- The Australian Sarcoma Group
- The University Melbourne Medical Society
- The University of Florida Orthopaedic Association